lørdag den 8. december 2018

The Tales of Rusty - 12

Galaen's secret
At my way over to the smith’s place, to pick up my armour, Morae, our herbalist, got hold of me.
She stated the fact that surely all who could be found alive after the crash was found by now. Her husband was still not found.
Morae, the widow turned herbalist
“Could you please keep an eye out for my husband, Galean, he was at the cryo-core as the ship crashed.” She cried and told me to please, please, please look for him. I remembered my own uncertainty after the crash, while I was at the orphanage in Shattrath, and my muted sorrow when Matron Mercy told me that except for my mother’s younger sister and her two children, I was the sole survivor of my family. My aunt lived in far away Stormwind, and wanted nothing to do with the Draenei ever again, so I went to live with Baatun, the paladin-trainer in the Exodar.
All this went through my head as I patted her shoulder and tried to still her tears. She showed me her amulet and told me that her husband had one just like it, a very special one, indeed. They were gifts from her sister and looked like a resting insect, made in gold with wings of semi-precious stones.

Some days later my huntings brought me near a big part of the Exodar. Rotund and purplish it lay before me. Could it be the Cryo-core? I finished off the bear I had been tracking. Unwilling to carry it when looking at the strange construct, I tucked the meat inside the pelt, ate and drank stretched in the sun for a short while and the I went exploring.


The place literally swarmed with Sunhawks. They seemed strangely unorganized, not like the vigilant pairs, I had met previously. They just walked around gossiping opening crates, and not keeping the sharp look-out, I would have expected. I circled the dome-shaped structure, and found the right spot for a daring move. Only a few Sunhawks were to be seen; not close to me and deeply immersed in conversation. A lone guard stood by a small door, looking in the other direction lost in his thoughts. I practised my Thalassian, threw a stone and whispered: "Illidan eats shit." That brought me the wanted attention. His face turned white, and he charged me. I tackled and bound him and pulled him over behind a tree.
Then I crept closer to the structure. I was lucky, this door was only guarded by a single guard at the inside. I jumped through and engaged her quickly. Either she was not as loyal as her comrade, or maybe she was smarter, Anyhow my studied insult did not make much of an impression on her. She fought with a cold determination, and I had to use all my skill to overpower her.

When I looked around in the strangely glowing room, I saw a lifeless form on the ground behind my fallen enemy. As I came in, he looked up, I heard him whisper Morae's name and saw his eyes open. I hurried to his side, only to realize that he had expired.


A book lay close by. with a paper sticking out of it. The paper bore Vindicatore Boros' name. I opened and read the words:
I watched as they beat him without mercy. Their ruthless lieutenant acted as if such cruelty was an act of normalcy. Through the savage beatings, I could feel myself breaking ...
As I watched Vindicator Saruan take their blows, I began to weep. Not out of fear... I wept out of sadness. To see a draenei of the Triumvirate treated in such a manner. If only I could have broken free of my bonds. If only...
 I read no further, but with trembling hands tucked the book inside my tunic. Vindicator Boros had to read this. But first I had to find Galaen's amulet for Morae. I looked, carefully searching Galean's body, but found no amulet on him. But as his clothes were cut and torn, I reckoned they had taken the amulet together with his coins and other valuables.

Galaen revenged
My next idea was to tackle the Sunhawks one after another until I found the one wearing Galaen’s amulet . I looked cautiously out of the door, and right outside another guard stood ready. I whispered my phrase and he came running in, insistent upon killing one impertinent Draenei. I quickly bested him, and bound him hand and mouth. In his pockets were a wad of papers full of strange signs. But no amulet.

Outside I was met by two Sunhawks. They must have heard suspicious sounds and had come to investigate. I tackled one and hit him in a sore spot whereupon he crumbled. The other one was a she, so no go, I had to kill her. I finished her as quickly as possible and hit the moaning man over the head with my sword. Then I bound him as well. I checked them both, and - oh luck - the lady had Galaen’s medallion hidden inside her red tunic on a string round her neck. That was my proof and I circled back to the place where I left the boar flanks
 
Upon my return, I gave Galaen's amulet to Morae. She cried some more when I handed her the medallion, and told me that my finding only confirmed her suspicion. But it seemed to give her some comfort to hold Galaen’s amulet at last.

Matis revealed.
I gave Galaen's writings to Vindicator Boron, not knowing what this would lead to.
He looked once at the paper slip, then he began reading, the colour slowly draining from his face. He turned the first page, and began reading aloud:
After what seemed an eternity, the Vindicator lost consciousness. The torture was too much, even for him. The cruel one - Matis as I found out he was called - attempted to wake Saruan by splashing contagion laced water across his ravaged body. But Saruan did not wake.
I wanted to scream but only a low gasp escaped my lips. I was promptly beaten for this act of rebellion. As I lay on the ground, I could see Matis pacing in front of Saruan's body. He seemed visibly concerned. He stated that Sironas or Sirona or some such entity would have his flesh flayed from his bones if Saruan had perished in the beatings. That the Sironas entity had plans for Saruan...
 He looked up, tears streaming down his face, and let the book droop, I could see the writing abruptly stopping and a long line trailing off the page. Galaen had not been allowed to finish his writings.

"Saruan was my master" he said with a shaking voice. "He was ... my teacher... my mentor... I took his place among the Triumvirate only recently - after we had given up searching for him."

He looked up. balling his hands into fists. I could see his jaws clenching. "Matis!" he said in a voice filled with cold rage.

He pulled a strange looking gun from his pockets, and I was afraid he would tear off for Matis that very moment. But such was not his idea. "Rusty," he said. "This is a flare gun. Whenever it is fired, by day or nigth in the hills, in the woods or even at sea, Trackers and defenders of the Hand will come rushing to the place it was fired from. I give you this gun. From now on you're free to roam the isles, looking for Matis. You may take up jobs for all who ask you, but your main and most important job is to find Matis and have him brought to justice. He's an easy one to recognize. Blood elf, red hair, rides a horse with fiery hooves. Arrogant and conceited to a T. Find him, Rusty."

I promised him I'd do my very best.

And from then on, whatever my errand was, I  was first and foremost on the lookout for Matis, the flare gun always handy in my belt.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar