onsdag den 29. november 2017

The Tales of Rusty - 6

Letters and missives

I made my way home to Blood Watch without further incidence, and was met by a scolding by our mailman, Hermesius. He had a letter for me, and now I had been away for so long! It was my first letter ever, so I sought out a quiet corner to read it. It was written by Admiral Odesyus, he had had a vision one night in a heavy sleep after eating too much of Cookies awful grub. An old sailing friend of his, captain Edward Hanes, had visited him in the dream and told him a strange tale about an island named Wyrmscar. Now he needed me to hear this tale and help him out. But this had to wait. The small community in Blood Watch had to rely on every person doing their share, and not running off chasing dreams on far off islands. At least that was how I saw the world then.

Well, next morning Tracker Lyceon came over and asked me how I was doing with those bear flanks of his. I tried to avoid the matter by asking him more about the blue flutteres, but he could not be distracted. I had to get out and get those bear flanks now! But it was not an easy thing to get out of the village. Jessera of Mac'aree grabbed my sleeve and entreated me to go and look for more mushrooms, this time on the same island where Odesyus’ vision was situated. I told him, that I would do it, maybe later, and certainly not rigth away, unless he wanted to go hungry. Lyceon had impressed on me the necessity for those bear flanks. Jessera told me a bit more about that island, Wyrmscar, that there be dragons. It made my willingness to go there even less.

On my way hunting Vindicator Aalesia stopped me: “I never thanked you enough for your job with gathering those strange Crystals for me. You did well, and now I would like you to look for one more strange stone near Nazzivian, where the satyrs live. And if you can, pick some more crystal samples from otu there while you're at it.” As Nazzivian was stituated in the same in the same general direction as where Tracker Lycaeon had told me to hunt for the small brown bears, I accepted the job.

I decided to go to Nazzivian for crystals first, following my motto take the worst when you’re at your best. So off I went. On my way I saw some of the small brown bears lumbering in the distance, but strangely no blue flutterers. I had taken to watching them and I was on the brink of believing Tracker Lyceon's theory. The were always gathered around bits and pieces of the faintly glowing crystals from the Exodar, and they tried to brush me with their antennae whenever I got close.

The road to Nazzivian was hardly more than a track, and soon it became bordered by palisades and lit up by torches stuck in mounds of sculls. I shivered, but I was determined to do my duty, I walked off the road where the palisades were broken and kept to the long grass. I saw something moving ahead of me. A strange being, it looked a bit like a hairy draenei, but it had long green horns, slim and twisted like the horns of a gazelle. It was beautiful in its foreignness. I walked slowly so as not to attract the satyrs' attention. I almost made it to an altar of sorts, where a strangely glistening stone had caught my attention. But one of the satyrs saw me and cast a strange spell on me. It made me feel cold and lethargic all over, It was all I could do to raise my sword and strike weakly at him. To my utter surprise he wore almost no armour, and my sword went through him as a hot knife through butter. When I stopped shivering from the spell, I grabbed the strange tablet together with a sample of the ubiquitous crystals.

Strange beings indeed.


Well that was one easy victory. There were as Lyceon had guessed, lots of the flutterers around the crystals, so I killed off some more for good measure.

Retracing my path I saw a shortcut through unknown land. I quickly, but carefully went down the unknown path, trodden by many feet.
 And suddenly it dawned on me, those were Sunhawk's tracks! Blood elves are slightly smaller and much lighter of build than us Draenei, and then they have small, dainty feet. And that as the exact beings that were using this path.
I was about to turn around and go back as I remembered the talk in Blood Watch that someone had heard something about there being a Sunhawk spy outpost near Blood Watch. This must be it. I stopped, now very cautious. I noticed the well trodden path now I had passed some distance from the normal roads. I saw lots of broken crystals up ahead, surely more wreckage form the Exodar.  But they were stood on their ends, connected by a luminous, chainlike substance. I carefully left the path, and went around to scout from the other side. The camp seemed almost deserted, four or five crystal structures stood at irregular intervals, but it seemed they were guarded only by two inexperienced looking youngsters. I stayed and watched them for half an hour almost, but nothing happened. No new guards came down the path. It seemed an ideal opportunity for an attack. I carefully went through the underbrush until I was behind the two youngsters. They had relaxed, talking and joking with one another. It must be nearing the end of their shift, and they had relaxed their normal vigilance, tasting the soon to come relief.
I sprang into action, Screaming like a madman, I jumped out from behind the bushes and stunned one of the guards before he even knew what hit him. I was not necessary out to kill, even though Sunhawks were evil, those two seemed so young and innocent. The other youngster came at me with his sword, screaming insults - or maybe orders - at me in Thalassian. My grip of that language was unfortunately not good, and I did not understand one word of this. But I understood his swordplay, inefficient and slow. I had no trouble besting him without hurting him.
I then gagged and trussed both youngsters with their own ropes, pulled them away form the camp, and threw a greenish camouflage blanket over them, which I found were they had been posted. It would not hurt them, except from their dignity, to stew for some time before they were found.  I then methodically searched the camp, and found a smallish chest like the ones missives are transported in. I broke the locking mechanism, and took all the papers inside the chest. I did not find any more, but I heard steps coming from the path, so I made myself disappear in the general direction of Blood Watch.

Upon my return, I gave the Sunhawk’s papers to Vindicator Boron. He gave the papers one short look, and passed them back to me. “This is written in Thalassian I think. Please bring them to Elysia, so that she might have a go on translating them.” As my Thalassian was limited to a few phrases, mostly insults and swear words, I had no chance to see if he was right. I took them over to Elysia immediately. She said that it was indeed Thalassian, and promised to treat them urgently. I looked at the wad of papers and told her I would return later.

I took a long soak in my tub, oh the luxury, and got hold of some of Lycaeon’s delicious food. That man might be a poor hunter, but he is one good cook! The next days I spent repairing my mail, it was rather frayed already, and I’m afraid I have not quite stopped growing yet.


In-game notes: Levels 15-17

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar